NestFresh is a proud member of the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association. We are so excited to have a guest post from them in which they share their favorite egg recipes.
In today’s busy world, we all want tasty, wholesome AND convenient meal solutions. Surprise! The frozen food and dairy aisles offer it all! As an initiative of National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association, which promotes the sales and consumption of frozen and refrigerated foods, Easy Home Meals came to life as a resource to find simple recipes, easy meal ideas, new product information, tips and much more.
We launched our Easy Home Meals blog this past spring to help you find real solutions for your real life needs. Our Easy Home Meals blog is a place to find recipes, meal ideas, tips and tricks and culinary inspiration—with help from shortcuts from the “cool” aisles of the grocery store.
So, what does that have to do with eggs, you may ask? Eggs are especially important to the Easy Home Meals team for their health benefits and versatility. What we love about eggs is that they’re more than just a breakfast staple. You can incorporate eggs into every meal occasion due to their adaptability! Being an egg-sential part of many food menus, eggs seamlessly fit into a variety of cuisines while maintaining a comfort-food appeal. In 2014, American eateries have seen an increase in dishes that highlight eggs from breakfast to dessert. Because of this trend, 2014 is known as “The Year of the Egg” due to the explosion of egg dishes that go from your average morning omelet to global-inspired lunch and dinner entrées.
Since eggs are an ingredient known for their versatility and nutrition, incorporating them into a variety of dishes works best for those who want delicious and healthy meals. What’s also great is all of the creative possibilities you have with eggs. Between combining eggs with Greek yogurt to make lighter deviled eggs, to topping salads with hard boiled eggs for a protein punch and even having eggs for dinner like the popular steak and eggs dish.
Check out some of our favorite creative recipes using eggs!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Coffee Cake
• 2 sticks butter, room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup greek yogurt
• ½ cup low fat milk
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 3 NestFresh Egg whites
• 1 ½ cups blueberries
• 3/4 stick butter, cold
• ½ cup flour
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add greek yogurt and milk.
4. In a separate bowl combine whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
6. In another clean and dry bowl, beat the NestFresh Egg whites until they form a stiff peak.
7. Carefully fold egg whites into coffee cake batter.
8. Gently stir in blueberries and pour batter into the baking dish.
9. For the topping, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
10. Add sliced cold butter and cut butter into the flour/sugar mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives.
11. Sprinkle topping onto batter.
12. Bake coffee cake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean.